Monday, February 20, 2017

Finish Line - A UFO

Back in 2009/10 I purchased a bunch of fabrics from the Cath Kidston store with a bed size quilt on my mind.  Shortly after purchasing, I cut some of the pieces out for pinwheels and didn't have a plan further than that.  So it sat in my UFO basket for years...and years.  Not that I hadn't thought about it and pulled it out in those years, I have, but it just didn't go anywhere.

 January 2017 rolls around and I am flipping through the basket and finally decide to give this one last chance to become something.  Making the commitment to work on this at least 1 hour everyday, I start to work.  Finishing the pinwheels and placing them on my design board.  Ok, now what?  Forget about the colors as I posted previously, that thought is a stall.  I pulled out several books from Kaffe Fassett and think with all the flowery prints going on here, just keep it simple.  So, I start the borders.  One thin pink polka dot, then a paisley print, a 4 patch, another pink polka dot and a final wide paisley print.   There was no pattern, plan, or precise measuring.  I only had in mind that I wanted it to fit on our full size bed with a drop.  The final measurements are 76" X 82" and I am not only happy it's out of my UFO basket, but it's completed AND I actually like it.  It will be a good weight (cotton batting) for a summer time bed covering.   It's a relief to be finished with the top, but also rewarding and exhausting at the same time.  Time to clean up my studio so I can move on to something else.   There's always something else.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your Quilts!

Catherine's Wheel

 I posted December 17, 2020 about making an ornament which is called prairie wheel (USA) or Catherine's Wheel (UK).  The latter being of...